The market trend for funds over the past few years indicates several areas associated with poor performance. Specifically, several funds related to natural resources and oil/gas services, metals or emerging/frontier markets have performed poorly.
The least damaging three-year total return percentage of the 20 worst performing funds is -17%.
iShares by BlackRock leads the way with seven funds on the list of the 20 worst performers, with State Street Global Advisors's SPDR and Market Vectors ETFs close behind with four entries apiece and Global X ETFs with three appearances. The full list is as follows:
20 Worst Performing Funds Ranked by Poorest 3-Year Total Return % (Format: Fund Name (SYMBOL): Return %, Fund Size $ (in Millions)
1. First Trust ISE-Revere Natural Gas ETF (FCG): -37.74%, $134.
2. Market Vectors Junior Gold Miners ETF (GDXJ): -36.68%, $1,287.
3. Global X Silver Miners ETF (SIL): -34.86%, $119.
4. SPDR S&P Metals and Mining ETF (XME): -32.80%, $238.
5. Global X Uranium ETF (URA): -32.29%, $108.
6. Market Vectors Gold Miners ETF (GDX): -30.18%, $4,598.
7. iShares MSCI Brazil Capped (EWZ): -29.85%, $1,620.
8. Global X FTSE Greece 20 ETF (GREK): -28.98%, $212.
9. SPDR S&P Oil & Gas Equip&Svcs ETF (XES): -27.35%, $137.
10. iShares Latin America 40 (ILF): -23.38%, $464.
11. SPDR S&P Oil & Gas Explore & Prod ETF (XOP): -22.37%, $1,675.
12. iShares MSCI Russia Capped (ERUS): -22.34%, $187.
13. Market Vectors Russia ETF (RSX): -22.19%, $1,497.
14. iShares MSCI Chile Capped (ECH): -21.42%, $167.
15. iShares MSCI Turkey (TUR): -19.67%, $274.
16. SPDR S&P Emerging Markets Dividend ETF (EDIV): -19.25%, $204.
17. Market Vectors Oil Services ETF (OIH): -18.28%, $925.
18. iShares US Oil Equipment & Services (IEZ): -18.09%, $196.
19. iShares Emerging Markets Dividend (DVYE): -17.71%, $127.
20. WisdomTree Emerging Markets High Div ETF (DEM): -17.00%, $1,135.
If you have invested with a broker or financial adviser whose recommendation of one of the 20 aforementioned funds—or any other risky funds that have performed poorly—was not compatible with your stated investment objectives, risk tolerances or overall strategy, and you believe that such improper or unsuitable recommendations have proven harmful to your investments or interests, please call The Law Offices of Jonathan W. Evans & Associates at (800) 699-1881 for an investigation and consultation.
News: Worst Funds by Total Returns - Buy or Bail? (Financial Planning)